The fifth episode of the Reclaim Social Podcast is now live!
This month we talked to Nicola Gee, Social Media Manager at WWF UK. We met Nicola as part of the #ReclaimSocial campaign earlier this year and we’re very excited to have her as a guest to the podcast to find out more about her amazing work at WWF UK.
WWF UK has hundreds of thousands of followers across all their social channels so we wanted to find out, from Nicola, what it’s like keeping supporters engaged and how they’re creating content that inspires people to take action.
Listen to the fifth episode
Find the Reclaim Social Podcast on:
How to use social media to inspire action
We talked about many interesting things with Nicola in this episode, including:
– Her favourite social media platform (and her least favourite one!)
– Her passion for running and how she ran 24 races to support the Samaritans
– How she found out about #ReclaimSocial and why she thought it was the perfect opportunity to share the organisation’s success stories
– The use of GIPHY as part of their social media strategy
– How their supporters react to positive stories and hopeful messaging
– The differences from one social media channel to another and why it’s important to look at audience insights
– The surprising self-moderation of comments from their community on Facebook
– Tips for sourcing content as an international team
– How to deal with a crisis on social media
– Why their ‘Our Planet’ documentary is the perfect example of hope being more powerful than fear
– Their use of Instagram Stories to boost engagement and gain valuable feedback
– Nicola’s favourite moment working at WWF UK
– The experience of being in a touching distance from David Attenborough (the goosebumps!)
How to be more mindful with the use of social media
Social media can be draining, especially when you’re working as a social media manager.
That’s why we asked Nicola for her tips on how we can all be more mindful with our own social media usage.
According to Nicola, running can be very helpful when you’re trying to relax.
“Running gives me the space I need to get away from my phone and it has helped me solve many problems.”
Moreover, Nicola shares with us more tips on how we can improve our use of social media:
- Set some time away from your phone and your social media channels
- Follow accounts that add something positive to your life
- Don’t be afraid to unfollow who people who don’t add up anything to your feed
- Comment on your friends’ posts – even a smiley emoji shows that you care about them
Supporting WWF UK
WWF is the world’s leading independent conservation organisation. Their goal is to create a world where people and wildlife can thrive together.
There are many ways that you can support WWF UK and you can find out more details here.